Royal holloway dating
Holloway later increased his original sum of money to half a million, and today, the campus is still best known for its original 600-bed building, known as the Founder's Building, designed by William Henry Crossland and inspired by the Château de Chambord in the Loire Valley, France.
Sir Nikolaus Pevsner called the original college building "the most ebullient Victorian building in the Home Counties", and noted that together with its sister building the Holloway Sanatorium, it represents "the summit of High Victorian design".
9,265 undergraduate and postgraduate students from over 100 countries.
The campus is located west of Egham, Surrey, 19 miles (31 km) from central London.
In 1985, Royal Holloway merged with Bedford College (another former all-women's college in London).
The merged college was named Royal Holloway and Bedford New College (RHBNC), this remaining the official registered name of the college by Act of Parliament.
The university has put into place initiatives to enhance environmental performance, such as the improvement of woodland management to develop nature conservation and more recycling banks have been introduced to halls of residence.
In 1945, the college admitted male postgraduate students, and in 1965, around 100 of the first male undergraduates.
The Drama Department expanded its performance space with the opening of the Caryl Churchill Theatre, which seats almost 200 audience members across two levels and has a third floor for technical operation, in 2013.
The department also uses the onsite 19th-century boilerhouse, which was converted into a performance space with a sprung dance floor in 2014.
There are three crescents shown on the coat of arms, which are taken from Thomas Holloway's own coat of arms.
Taken from the Bedford coat of arms, the field is coloured black and gold in a chequered design, with the addition of ermine spots (feather-like symbols representing ermine tails) from the Royal Holloway coat.